As many of you readers know, my boyfriend and I are on a SERIOUS health kick this new year! That means limited carbs, low sugar foods, and all the veggies we can eat. However, this past weekend, we were both seriously craving a massive Chipotle burrito (uh-oh!). At first we justified, and listed all the reasons why we should have a burrito. But then I thought, why can’t we have Mexican food and still make it healthy? So I got to work.
That same evening, we were having a delicious, filling dinner with all the same goodies we could have gotten at Chipotle (but better and healthier!). I wanted to outline these recipes for you here, so that when that craving strikes you as well, you know what to do!
First we thought about everything we desperately wanted to include. Cilantro-lime rice was a must for both of us. We used a high-gran brown rice, and cooked that with chopped cilantro and lime. I also love refried beans, and chose a non-fat version to supplement the meal (it was spicy, too!). Last, we had to have our healthy grilled chicken, but found a yummy taco seasoning from my favorite place, Trader Joes (something like 9 cals per serving omg).
We also chose some veggies, low cal salsa, and a non-fat greek yoghurt to substitute the unfortunately unhealthy sour cream (it tastes IDENTICAL).
Check out this amazing recipe below!
- 1 cup uncooked Brown Rice
- Cilantro (1 bunch)
- 2 Chicken Breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- Taco Seasoning
- Non-Fat Greek Yoghurt
- Non-Fat/ Low-Fat Refried Beans (or whatever beans you prefer)
- Salsa Fresca
- Romaine Lettuce
- One Red Bell Pepper
- One Onion
- Clean the rice until water runs clear
- Add brown rice to small pot, fill with 2 cups water
- add chopped cilantro and 2 tbs lime juice
- Add a touch of salt, and put on stove to boil
- Once boiling, cover and turn the heat down to a low simmer
- Simmer for 45 minutes until water has evaporated and rice is cooked through
- Fluff with a fork
- Trim chicken and dry with paper towels
- Cut into bite-size pieces
- Season with salt and pepper, and then put into a ziploc bag
- Add 2 tbs lime juice and the tac seasoning
- Let marinate for 10 minutes
- Heat a pan to high and add olive oil
- Add the chicken to the pan and allow to cook without stirring for 4 minutes
- stir the chicken occasionally until cooked through and temperature registers 165 degrees.
- Remove from heat
- Slice onion and bell pepper into thin strips
- Heat pan to medium heat and add olive oil
- Put veggies in pan, and allow to caramelize
- Stir occasionally for 10 minutes, or until they are caramelized
- Remove from heat
Once you have completed the cooking portion of this recipe, you’re ready to assemble your taco bowl. You can either have this bowl-style, or with a side of tortillas for a fajita-style meal.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @harpergreylifestyle on Instagram and hashtag it #greygirlgang.